- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring, for 5–10 minutes or until softened.
- Increase the heat to high, add the mince and cook for 5 minutes or until browned, breaking up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the stock, Worcestershire sauce and oregano. Simmer for 15–20 minutes or until the carrot is cooked through and the liquid has reduced.
- Mix the cornflour with 1 tablespoon water to make a paste, then pour into the saucepan with the peas. Stir until thickened.
- Meanwhile cook the potato in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to the saucepan and then mash with the milk. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the beef mixture into a deep baking dish. Spread an even layer of the mashed potato on top and sprinkle with the cheddar (if using). Bake for 30–40 minutes or until golden. Serve hot, with vegetables to the side.
Nutrition facts per serve
Makes 4 serves
Note: If food units vary from the book, be guided by the following food units.